Sunday, January 11, 2009

Fun with old pictures

As long as I've known Brad, he's had a broken printer. When we moved in together, that printer came with him, and for some unknown reason, it joined us in our new house as well. We never quite knew what was wrong with the printer. It could have been something as simple as needing a new cartridge -- it just never seemed worth our valuable time to look into fixing a printer that probably retailed for $30 back in 1997. And since we both had access to printers at the office, it also never seemed worth our money to get a new one. Printing has become sort of obsolete anyway and it's bad for the environment to use paper. Why spend $30 on a new printer when we could spend it on something like two new DVDs?

Now that I'm back in school, though, it's become increasingly necessary to print things out. Last night, my frustrations got the best of me and I went out in the snowstorm to end this 10-year-old printer problem for good. Not wanting to deal with the annoying Best Buy salespeople, I went to Target, where the only printers they had came with photo scanners. Best decision I ever made. For $59.99, cheaper than a nice meal and a bottle of wine, I provided myself with hours upon hours of very sober Saturday-night entertainment.

First, I went through my college photo albums and scanned about 40 pictures for Facebook. Then, I started on a "through the years" series of myself.

Non-digital photography has become almost obsolete, and it almost seems as though if a photo does not exist on your computer, it doesn't exist at all. Now, I'm pleased to say that these long-lost photos exist once again:






The only bad news is I didn't get any homework done, and it's not looking like it's gonna happen anytime soon. There's still SO MUCH left to scan!

No comments: