
We've been having a particularly balmy week here in the northern midwest, with highs in the single digits and lows in the negatives. Apparently that's nothing compared to northern Minnesota, but I guess that's what you get for voluntarily living in northern Minnesota.
It seems as though whenever we have a cold snap like this, everyone has something to say about it. Maybe (maybe?) I'm weird, but I've never really minded the cold. I don't love cold -- but to me, cold is cold, whether it's 30 degrees or -3 degrees. It's better than the alternative, which is heat. Give me a seven-degree day over a 90-degree day any time of year and I'll be happy. When it's cold, I sleep better, my cats are cuddlier and a hot shower feels like absolute heaven. Plus, it really makes me appreciate the beautiful falls and springs we have here in the midwest. The summers, in my opinion, are still way too hot.
Last week when I was in Orlando and it was in the mid-80s and sunny, something just felt wrong. It was nice, of course, but walking into the hotel lobby in shorts and a t-shirt while surrounded by Christmas decorations made me feel uncomfortable. It was sort of like trying on a perfect pair of jeans that don't quite fit in the hips. Something was a little off. When I was growing up, I spent one full winter in Birmingham, Alabama, and while it did get chillier there at night than it does in Florida, it still felt like cheating the system. Nobody should get to enjoy spring without suffering through winter.
So, maybe I'm just a big fat nerd when it comes to not minding the cold (notice I didn't say liking the cold), but this cold snap is OK with me. Plus, next week when it's 32, it will be downright shorts weather.

2 comments:
I am completely OK with cold as well. And I actually love snow.
But 58 degrees IS cold to us. ;)
Post a Comment