Taking a Friday off just for the heck of it makes for the best kind of weekend. On a whim, on Thursday evening after Toastmasters, I decided to take the day off. As a result, I caught up on my sleep, went shopping, got lots of boring stuff done and still managed to take a mid-day yoga class at my new gym that I can't take while I'm working. By the time Brad and I went to dinner Friday night with our friend Katie, I was well-rested, relaxed and happy. Maybe a little too happy. At Vinology (which has now officially replaced Cafe Felix as our Friday-night hangout) I had one flight of wine -- the equivalent of maybe two 6 oz. glasses, which is not a lot for me -- and couldn't walk straight. I don't know if I was just dehydrated or there was a full moon or what, but let's just say that there was some Alison-taking-care-of by the husband late Friday night. Thank goodness Brad was the responsible one and drove us home. :\
Saturday morning was pretty rough. I got up and did a few chores and spent most of the morning effing around on the internet, eating junk food and drinking water. By the time 2 p.m. rolled around, I was feeling grumpy, lazy and worthless. It was so hard to get myself dressed and out the door, but a 15-mile mountain bike ride at Island Lake in the FREEZING COLD was the best thing I could have done for myself. The last few miles I couldn't feel my toes. I kept having to remind myself that I used to bike in the snow and 44 degrees was wimp weather. By the time I got home, I was starving, so Brad and I cooked up some kale chips and Italian sausage for dinner along with a roasted acorn squash. If you've never cooked squash before, it's so easy -- cut it in half, put in about a teaspoon of butter, some brown sugar and salt/pepper and bake uncovered at 400 for 35-45 minutes. I love the taste of squash so I think this is just about one of the most heavenly veggie side dishes in the world. I'm going to be so sad when squash season is over.
After dinner we went out to see W (which was awesome, BTW. It's not a Bush-bashing film so much as what's probably a somewhat accurate portrayal of Bush as a person -- a fairly intelligent, very charming kid with no business sense who lucks out and finds himself in a position too big for him to handle. And Richard Dreyfuss is priceless as a conniving, slimy Dick Cheney).
Today I'm doing homework and trying to ward off the cold I feel coming on, damn it. Enjoy your Sunday!
Sunday, November 9, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Sounds like a full weekend.
Post a Comment