It seems like every blogger has to share his or her thoughts on the election -- it's like a blogging rite of passage. I was debating whether or not to do this, but even though I don't usually write about politics, I do think it's kind of neat to have an archive of my life.
I am an independent voter. I don't agree with all of the ideals of a certain political party, so I do my research on the issues and usually find myself choosing the lesser of two evils. I've voted for people on both sides of the ticket, often on the same ticket. In short, I'm exactly who every candidate panders to: a swing voter! You hear that, candidates? I like dark chocolate. And money. Lots of money.
I have no idea if Barack Obama will make a good president. I have no doubt that he's brilliant and eloquent, but until he starts making decisions in office, there's no way to know what kind of leader he'll be. However, I'm hard-pressed to say I've EVER seen our nation so inspired as they were Tuesday night when he won the election. I watched his acceptance speech with tears in my eyes. Not because of the speech itself, but because of the video of the crowd. It was so uplifting to see so many people - young and old, of all different races - reacting to this win like their own father had just been elected leader of the free world.
Then I logged onto Facebook and saw all the status updates of my cynical friends who have been threatening to move to Canada for the past decade, and they all said things like "I love my country!" and "God Bless America!" I had to pinch myself to see if this was actually happening.
So while I don't know if Obama will make the best president (and nobody can say otherwise), I can't deny that he was the best choice. We've been able to inspire our cynics and convince the rest of the world that we really are the best country in the land. I'm so proud of what we did.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment