Saturday, August 23, 2008

First day of school!

The day after tomorrow, I join the ranks of the broke, haggard and sleepless as I embark upon the two-year journey of getting my masters degree in marketing communications. It's amazing how things have changed since I finished undergrad in 2001. I was able to purchase a $136 textbook for $29 on the internets. If that's not enough to convince someone to start school, I don't know what is. Well, aside from the whole currently owing $4,000 in tuition thing. Luckily, my wonderful employer will pay for a lot of that, but not until I finish the class (with a B or above, no less. :)

Anyway...I gotta admit, I'm pretty excited. I always fantasized about quitting my job and going back to school full-time at a fancy-schmantzy university and studying in coffee shops with fellow haggard grad students, but then I became a grown-up. You know...bought a house, got married, bought two new cars, that whole thing. And unless the husband and I want to be in serious debt for the next century, this is the way I'm going to have to do it. But I'm okay with that; I love my job, and the online classes will allow me to comfortably work full-time while finishing my degree in two years (one can hope). And EMU is a good school.

So wish me luck as I embark on this next chapter of my life. And let's hope all the hard work I'll be putting in over the next two years pays off.

5 comments:

Alyssa said...

It's exciting. I'm seriously considering getting my butt in gear to go back for my master's. It's even scarier for me b/c I'm considering programs that are way out of my comfort zone and totally different than my undergrad degree.

Stephanie said...

I hope you bought lots of shiny new school supplies to celebrate! Good luck, and enjoy!!!

Jen said...

Good luck with school, Alison. And no more house fires!

MNFirefly said...

Good luck. I admire you for getting started on your Master's.

Amy W. said...

I still kind of wish I had stuck with my original decision to do this program. But I didn't. Oh,w ell. Let me know how it goes!