When I was 20 years old, I had a part-time job on the staff of the Athens Messenger. I realize the Messenger is no Wall Street Journal, but we ran a tight ship with few resources and put out a very high-quality, typo-free paper every afternoon except Saturday. The experience I gained at that place was invaluable, plus the vending machine had excellent animal crackers.
I was a copy-editor, reporter, layout specialist and occasionally cleaned the bathrooms. But my favorite part of that job was writing restaurant reviews, which I got to do on a regular basis. The only problem with writing restaurant reviews in southeastern Ohio is that there aren't many restaurants to write about. During my two-year tenure, I actually wrote reviews of Pizza Hut, the local Chinese lunch buffet, and Buffalo Wild Wings (BW3). If you don't believe me, I'll find those old clips and scan them for you.
Now I live in a city that's notable for having good food, and I eat at a lot of great, new, fun places. I've thought about writing restaurant reviews on my blog, but first I could never be as prolific about food as Amy, and second, I think that I've just lost my touch. Last night, Brad and I took our friend Katie out for her birthday at Cafe Habana, a new Cuban place in town. Despite the fact that I don't really like Cuban food (NOT a big fan of fruit in savory dishes, plus if I eat mango I go into anaphylactic shock so 75% of the menu is off-limits), I thought it was wonderful. But the words just aren't coming, plus I forgot to taste everyone's food, and I didn't write down the name of our chicken appetizer thingy.
But anyway. If you're ever in town, try Cafe Habana. Their chicken appetizer thingy is to die for.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
mmmmm the arepas are to die for as well! :)
Trust me...one really good or really bad experience at a restaurant and you'll be ready to write about them again...I need to do another restaurant review, but it's NHL playoff time so I'm too busy being a fake sports columnist at the moment.
Post a Comment