I went to see the doctor on Thursday for my six-week follow-up appointment. Everyone I told said, "I can't believe it's already been six weeks!" which is funny, because in my mind, I'm thinking "six weeks? Feels like it's been six months! Or six hundred years!"
One thing I've learned about today's hospital system is that you get about 35 seconds with an actual practitioner, so you'd better make the most of that time. So the second she came up to my table, I started talking like an aucioneer. "126 ROM up stairs yes down stairs no quads still weak dr m said i'd be running in month why am i not better yet plz help"
Anyway, the bottom line is, I'm doing fine. The doctor (not my surgeon -- I see him in 3 weeks) said everything looked great, and although she didn't come out and say "Your surgeon should not have said you'd be running in a month," she didn't NOT say that either. She said everything looked better than good, and I was right on track for the amount of synovial tissue that was removed (to quote her: "that makes the knee very, very angry." I love that my knee is angry. We are going to start listening to My Chemical Romance together). She said it would probably be another month or so before I really turned the corner and to just be patient and keep workin' it in PT.
If you know me in any context, you know that patience about ANYTHING is not a major quality of mine (my husband will laugh his ass off when he reads this because that's the understatement of the millenium). But in this case, amazingly, I'm okay with waiting. As long as those medical professionals keep telling me I'm not a complete disaster, I'm happy with my progress.
I can swim fine now, so I've been going to the pool for about 30 minutes, three or four times a week, and I just started going back to the gym for upper-body weightlifting on my non-PT days. It's amazing how quickly muscle disappears when you don't use it. I'm skinnyfat now -- I feel both skinny and flabby at the same time. But I guess having normal-sized thighs that actually fit into pants ain't such a bad thing!
Also, I learned that I won't be "officially" released to return to normal activities until I can do 10 single-leg presses of my weight. I did 30 double-leg presses at 90 pounds on Thursday (which is NOT my weight), so I still have a long way to go.
Saturday, April 12, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Sounds you are making progress, Alison. Keep it up!
Post a Comment