Sunday, April 6, 2008

Culture eats strategy for breakfast

For the past year, I've eaten the same exact breakfast every single morning, except on Sundays, when I usually have no breakfast and an early lunch. It consists of the following:

-One mug of coffee with a splash of Coffee-Mate vanilla creamer and two packets of Splenda

-frosted mini-wheats and raisin bran, mixed together in a bowl

-vanilla soy milk (if I'm at work), or 2% milk (if I'm at home -- the husband won't touch soy)

-A teaspoon of sugar on my cereal (if I use regular milk)

-Tropicana Pure Premium OJ

I have this same exact breakfast every. single. morning. I have a separate stash of ingredients at work, and I have a back-up box of both cereals in the cabinet and soy milk and creamer in the fridge.

For the most part, I'm not really a creature of habit. I like to try new things, go new places, live on the edge a little. But my breakfast is not something to be messed with.

I've tried to mix it up a few times: a bowl of oatmeal, a bagel and cream cheese, a banana sliced on top of my cereal. Just as I'd expected, they were all complete disasters.

How can a banana be a disaster, you ask? First of all, it caused my bowl to overflow and milk to splash out the sides onto my keyboard. Second, it was...well...a little more a.m. fiber than I'm used to, if you know what I mean.

The oatmeal left me feeling overly full and bloated and gave me a mild stomach ache for the rest of the day. And after the bagel, I was starving by 10:30 a.m.

I've tried doing something as simple as eating different cereals, but the half mini-wheats/half raisin bran seems to be the perfect combination. It leaves me full, but not stuffed, and it's not overly sweet to the point where it gives me a sugar crash.

So, this brings me to the question: what do YOU eat for breakfast? Not that I'm going to try it or anything...

3 comments:

Alyssa said...

I too eat similar things for breakfast. Some sort of breakfast meat, and either plain greek yogurt with pineapple and a touch of macadamia nut butter or a bowl of steel cut oats with applesauce and almonds and cinnamon. Sometimes I'll mix in seasonal fruit if I have it. But I have to have just a little bit of sweet in the morning with a good balance of protein.

Jess said...

Coffee and a granola bar. Then a piece of fruit about an hour later.

Amy W. said...

Too much coffee. it's time to cut back. And sometimes I eat a banana.