Saturday, March 1, 2008

Update 3

I took the bandages off this morning, as directed by the stack of papers I brought home from the hospital (aka "the bible"). It was a quite disheartening -- I guess I expected my knee to look normal except for two small incisions on either side. Unfortunately, my knee does NOT look normal. Here is where you should stop reading if you're squeamish.

My kneecap and thigh look like they've been injected with about three pounds of fluid. The whole mess is swollen, bruised and bumpy, not to mention covered with a combination of dried blood and iodine. Also, without the pressure of the two ace bandages that have been wrapping my entire leg for the past 48 hours, the whole thing feels achy. The nurse said I could shower once the bandages came off, but I'm not ready to stand in the tub.

Whenever I accidentally put weight on my leg, I get shooting pains through my knee, thigh and groin. I also have pain in my armpits, wrists, hips and right leg from crutching around yesterday. Last night I was feeling pretty optimistic, but this morning I'm just bummed out and frustrated, especially after spilling half a glass of soy milk on the floor (note to gimps everywhere: trying to carry a glass in your teeth = not effective).

I was hoping to at least go out for coffee today or something, but don't think I'll be leaving the house after all. Boo.

On a happier note, I finished the right mitten! I made the cuff longer and switched to brown yarn halfway through. So now I have a pair of mis-matched, bumpy and mistake-ridden mitts. :)


Mismatched mittens and a White Castle mug...now that's class.

3 comments:

MNFirefly said...

Take it easy, Alison.

Nice job on the other mitten.

Amy W. said...

Mismatched mittens are better than NO mittens, which is where I currently stand on the mitten front!

Sarah said...

Oh Alison! I am reading your blog backwards; I linked in through Brad's new blog.

I totally know how you feel about the knee surgery crap! It is no fun...BUT it will get better.

Knitting is good. I tried jewelry making and Law and Order marathons...