Friday, March 21, 2008

Swimming update

Swimming went fine. And when I say "swimming" I actually mean "floating." I did do a couple laps with the pull buoy (for non-swimmers, that's a floaty thing you hold between your legs when you swim freestyle or backstroke so you only work your arms), and those felt great -- but my real focus was not a workout, it was getting my legs moving around. I stayed in the deep end for about 15 minutes, just sort of treading water and kicking around. I had an intense PT session last night (more on that later), so I'm skipping the pool today, and will probably head back for 20 minutes or so on Saturday.

The nice thing about water is that it allows me to do things - walking, kicking, leg lifts, etc. -- without fear. On "land" (hee hee, I'm a pirate!), I can't get over the thought that I might do something with too much intensity and pull a muscle or tweak something in my knee. I don't have the same kind of fear in the pool, so I'm inclined to push a little harder.

I had a great PT session as far as exercises go, but I didn't make any more mobility gains last night (well, I went from 91 to 92 degrees, I guess), so I was bummed about that -- but then again, I went BACKWARDS last Thursday, so I'm trying to look at this in weeks rather than days. I have to say, the slowness of this process has been one of the most frustrating things I've ever experienced. My surgeon originally said I'd be running in a month; that's obviously NOT going to happen. But I guess everyone heals at a different pace.

1 comment:

Jess said...

It's true, everyone does heal at a differenet pace. But it's great that you were able to get in the pool!