Wednesday, March 19, 2008

On Bended Knee

It's funny how your goals change with the circumstances. Two years ago at this time, my goal was to finish a half-Ironman triathlon. Today? My goal is to bend my knee at a right angle.

After knee surgery, there are two ways they judge your progress in physical therapy: strength and mobility. We already know that my muscles are pretty much shot (to quote my doctor on Monday: "wow, that's puny"), and I'm still taking it very easy on my quads when I do exercises to avoid another disastrous muscle pull, so my PT is holding off on doing any kind of strength testing this week. But I knew when I showed up today that she'd be testing my mobility - basically, how far I could bend and straighten my leg.

All weekend and during the beginning of the week, I worked on increasing the bending (I can fully straighten already). I did heel slides, assisted leg raises, quad massages, and everything else I could to loosen up without hurting myself. You can see photographic proof of me doing my heel slides, as well as some funky green bruises. Oh, and I realize our rug is nasty. That's what happens when you have a cat with claws. (The Dyson makes it look much prettier.)


91 freakin' degrees, baby.



Last Thursday, even with a warm-up, I could only bend about 80 degrees. Today, I maxed out at 91! When I saw that number, I almost cried tears of joy. Not only is 91 degrees a huge improvement over last week, it's more than a right angle -- meaning I can bend it more than I can't bend it. You people have know idea how happy that makes me. I would even venture to say I feel more ecstatic than I did after running my first marathon.

But that's not all the good news I have. Before I left PT, I had an important question to ask. I cleared my throat, took a deep breath, and said:

"Can I swim?"

"Of course!" answered my PT. "I think it will be good for you. Just be careful not to do too much kicking."

I think she blabbed on longer after that, but all I realy heard was the first part about the fact that I GET TO SWIM!!! After three and a half weeks of zero exercise, I get to go to the pool tomorrow. I can barely believe it myself.

And no need to lecture me - I promise to be careful. I may even avoid the swim lanes altogether and try out the "aqua-jogging" lanes. I'll let you know how it goes.

Oh, and here's some cuteness to erase the grossness from your mind. Danny Boy fell asleep in Brad's arms last night with his paw sticking straight out. I love my husband and cat!

3 comments:

Jess said...

Yay on the 91 degrees! And yay that you get to go swim! And yay that you have a cute cat and hubs! Yays all around!

MNFirefly said...

WOW! That's SOOO freaking awesome! Congrads!!

Stephanie said...

hey! i have that rug :)