Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Freaked out

As part of a project I'm working on, I recently met with several survivors of the Minneapolis I-35W bridge collapse that happened this summer. If you want to give yourself a damn good freak-out, picturing a giant bridge collapsing beneath you is a pretty safe place to start.

I know people die in tragic accidents on a regular basis. But this one just seems...different to me. Here's the thing: when I'm on a plane, I expect it to crash. When I'm in my car during rush hour, I expect to get into an accident. When I'm at work in the sky-scraping corporate headquarters of one of the largest companies in the world, -- well, these days, at least -- I expect to fall victim to a terrorist attack.

But a bridge? In the middle of the highway? On a random, sunny August afternoon? Killing 13 people and injuring more than 60? I can't even imagine.

Be careful out there...

2 comments:

MNFirefly said...

OMG! I can not believe that you are working that project. That's so close to my heart.

Jess said...

Bridges scare the bejesus out of me.