
It is just me, or does this guy look more and and more like his daddy every day?
I think we have figured out something about Liam's sleep patterns. He's a great sleeper early in the night -- he'll often sleep from 7:30-11 or 8-11:30. As the hours wear on, his stretches of sleep get shorter and shorter. By the time the sun is threatening to come up, forget it! He's usually up at 5 or 5:30, and getting him back to sleep at that point is almost futile. I feed him, change him, burp him, rock him, sing to him -- and he just stares at me with these big wide eyes, as if to say "it's morning, mom! Let's hang out!"
Any sleep-related advice from other parents is welcome. I know it's too early for him to sleep through the night; but if he's capable of sleeping 3 1/2 hour stretches, how do we get more of them? So frustrating! I have a feeling he's going to be an early-to-bed, early-to-rise kid.
Aside from the sleep thing, though, we are so lucky to have such a chill baby. He's not a crier at all. He occasionally lets out a few wails when I change his diaper (can you blame him?) and when bathtime is over (he loves being IN the bath; hates getting taken out of it), but other than that, he's a happy kid. Just a very, very awake one.
As far as my pregnancy poundage goes, I still have 9 pounds to lose and the weight is definitely done coming off on its own. On one hand, I'm happy that I only have 9 pounds to lose, given that I gained 35 -- er, OK, 38 -- over the past 9 months; on the other hand, I only have two pairs of "fat pants" that button (I'm still wearing maternity jeans, ugh). I just started tracking my meals on SparkPeople again (which I stopped doing during pregnancy) and am trying to walk with Liam at least 45 minutes a day. I have a feeling a serious exercise routine isn't going to happen until he starts sleeping through the night, which probably won't be until I go back to work. Honestly, I am much less concerned about the pregnancy weight than I thought I'd be. The 38 pounds I gained helped create this perfect little man who I'm so madly in love with. I know I'll lose it eventually, and while my body may never be the same as it was before, I now have an amazing son to show for it, and that's so much more important to me!
Activities for the day today include picking up some bedding for Liam's new crib (pictures tomorrow!) and going to a new mom's support group at the Lamaze Center of Ann Arbor. Being a stay-at-home mom is so strange.

4 comments:
If it's starting to get light out when he's waking up, I've heard of people darkening the room with dark, heavy drapes to try to get his system to think it's still night time and get the longer stretches of sleep. I've also heard of using red lights instead of normal lights when he wakes up during the night, so keep his circadian rhythms on track.
I am certainly in no place to give advice on sleep, sorry. Norah sleeps well from about 8-11 too, and then is up every hour between 11 and about 3 or 4 am, and then conks out solid until about 7:30 or 8.
I think it just takes awhile for them to establish their circadian rhythm. But walks during the day should help him figure it out.
I don't think you need to worry about the last 9lb- just take care of yourself, and eventually you'll be able to take care of the weight
Liam is SO adorable, Alison. Hold onto these precious days. They'll be gone before you know it.
I don't think there's any magic bullet for getting your kid to sleep in. A is still up at 6 or 6:30 most days. When he was still getting up at night to eat, I used to go to bed at the same time as him. Sad, but it kept me going.
Post a Comment