Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Pregnant pause.

I wouldn't say that I've had a difficult pregnancy so far, at least compared to what some other women go through. My morning sickness never caused me to become violently ill--I'll take 12 hours a day of mild nausea over projectile vomiting, thanks. I haven't had any real complications and my weight gain has been slow and steady (so far...so far!). I've never had to miss a day of work or turn in a school assignment late as a result of anything pregnancy-related.

Still, though, I've never been good at slowing down. I am a go-go-go type of person--my days used to start at 5 a.m. with coffee, schoolwork and a cardio/weightlifting session all before getting into the shower at 7:15 for work. Getting knocked up has put a serious end to that. I'm literally exhausted all the time. I'm lucky if I can stop hitting the snooze button by 7:30. Workouts have been reduced to 3 or 4 days a week of low-impact activity like walking, and that feels like an accomplishment. My fun nights of happy hours, wine tastings and big dinners out are no more. Even without the wine, I still can't bring myself to stay up past 9. Oh, and my cute clothes? No longer fit. I have two pairs of pants that I can still button, but yesterday I happened to look down in a meeting and happened to notice some serious stomach-cleavage going on with one of them. Ugh.

Sometimes it's easy to let myself get really bummed knowing I have a long road ahead of me before I get to go back to "normal" (yeah, like that's gonna happen when the baby's born!). But then yesterday I got to hear our baby's heartbeat again, and all the frustration melted away. It was the third time I've heard it, and I was on a serious high for the rest of the day. I just have to keep telling myself that it's all worth it!

3 comments:

The Hall said...

Ugh, I remember those days. If it helps at all, I thought the first trimester was THE hardest part of pregnancy. I would even venture to say harder than labor. I worked out less and felt more sluggish those first three months than any other time. I think you'll find that you'll turn a corner soon, and then you'll have a cute little baby bumb, and fun maternity clothes, and more energy.

The Hall said...

P.S. - I think this is the greatest maternity piece I bought - it really helps with that in-between stage. http://www.expectingcomfort.com/belly-band.html?gclid=CK7S2t2AyJgCFQG7GgodkWbS0w

Alison said...

What a great idea on the belly band - thanks for the tip! I'll be 15 weeks on Monday, so I'm hoping to feel better SOON :) I also think the weather is a big factor - I've been stuck inside since November and going to the gym is smelly and unappealing to me. Hopefully once I can start getting outside more, it will help with my energy.