Friday, January 23, 2009

I got soul...



Thursday night was a very special night -- Brad and I saw the Killers! Not only are they one of our favorite bands, but they're particularly meaningful to us because we saw them on our honeymoon. OK, our "fake" honeymoon, meaning the fancy evening we spent in downtown Detroit a few days after our wedding and stayed in the building where I would eventually be working. But anyway...the Killers.

I know a lot of our hipster friends think we're lame for liking this band, but who cares if their fan base consists of teenage girls and frat boys? They rock, especially live. Picture this: the bravado of U2, the techno beats of late-80s New Order, and the dramatic-ness of Styx. Think sets with amazing colored light schemes, smoke machines and rhinestone-studded guitars -- a massive sea of 30,000 fans waving their cell phones and screaming along to every word. It. Was. Amazing.

The first time we saw them they'd barely released their second album, and now they're onto the second single from their third (fourth if you include an album of B-sides). Our post-wedding trek to the State Theater in downtown Detroit was a very special one, but this was definitely a better concert. They had much more material to choose from, and they played all 7 or 8 of their greatest hits -- including a rendition of "All These Things that I Have Done" that made the crowd go nuts. (It's the song with the famous line "I got soul, but I'm not a soldier....")

And luckily, since we bought the tickets back in October, the concert was very pregnant-lady-friendly (for the record, I was definitely NOT the most pregnant lady there). It took place in a college basketball arena only about 5 miles from our house, meaning a) it was smoke-free, b) we had seats! and c) we made it home by 11, and that included some sort of drive-thru stop on the way home (ugh, what is happening to me????).

If you ever get the chance to see this band, trust me, do not miss it. I'm still on a high!

2 comments:

Amy W. said...

I love the Killers - Noe and I went in July when they played at Foxwoods. We might go again in May when they play Mohegan...if we are still here, that is!

Stephanie said...

screw the hipsters. I love the killers, dammit, and I love the dancey new cd!! :) (and front row, too, hehehehehe)