Thursday, November 27, 2008

Thank you.

While this year started off sucking, it turned out pretty great. (It's like that old expression, "2008 goes in like cat poo and out like a piece of homemade pecan pie." Right?) I have a lot to be thankful for this year. So, while I normally wouldn't do something this cheesy, without further adeiu --

THE TOP 10 THINGS ALISON IS THANKFUL FOR IN 2008
IN NO PARTICULAR ORDER

1) My cats. They are a pain in the ass 95% of the time, but there's a lot of cuddling, purring and crazy antics in that last 5% that makes it all worth it! There's nothing quite like settling down for a nap on Saturday afternoon with one cat curled up behind my knees and the other one kneading my armpit. It's seriously the most amazing feeling in the world. Even though I grew up with dogs, I have officially become a cat person.

2) The Monday and Wednesday morning spinning classes with Terri at my new gym. Okay, the gym itself is so-so (I just joined because I can walk there from work), but those 5:30 a.m. spinning classes are the best I've ever taken and make the whole cost of membership worth it. Terri is the best spinning instructor ever.

3) My brother (who occasionally reads this...let's see if he leaves a comment). We fought like crazy for approximately 18 years, but we're best buds now. And even though he lives far far away, he's still smart enough to remote into my computer desktop and fix my wireless all the way from Maryland.

4) My parents. Like my cats, they drive me crazy, but I probably deserve it. (On an interesting note, seeing the way Brad interacts with his parents has made me realize that maybe it's not normal to spend most of your time together either yelling at or making fun of each other. Oh well, it's our "thing", I guess.)

5) Tuition assistance. There is no way I'd be back in school if not for an employer who helped pay for it. The idea of taking out a $25,000 loan in this economy gives me hives.

6) My job. I don't know if it's truly possible to love your job (in the sense that you like Mondays better than Fridays), but I'm as close as you can get. My job is challenging, fulfilling and even occasionally fun. Plus, I work with an incredible and brilliant group of people. I leave the office most days with a huge grin on my face!

7) Toastmasters. In the two months I've been a member, my speaking abilities and overall confidence have skyrocketed! I've given two speeches and even led a meeting. In January, I'll be speaking at our open house (a crowd of, hopefully, more than 100 people). Every Thursday night, I grumble and bitch about having to spend 2 hours in a meeting room, but once I get there I'm always glad I came.

8) The blogging community. I used to wonder how I got through life without the internet, but now I wonder how I got through life before blogs. Thank you for saving me from boredom!

9) Sparkpeople. Since January 2008 I've used this handy site to track every morsel I've put into my mouth. No, I'm not being obsessive about it -- it's just a habit now! Not only does it help me maintain my goal weight, which I have done for over a year, but it also helps me track my eating habits over time to make sure I'm getting enough protein, fiber and vitamins.

10) My husband. OK, this one is not in random order -- he is the thing I'm truly the most thankful for. Marrying this dude was the best decision I ever made. Between job losses, surgeries, sick parents, clinical depression and the other stupid crap life throws at us, he has been my rock through it all and I thank God for him every day. In our more than 6 years together, our relationship has been tested many times, and amazingly, we come out stronger every time. Plus, despite refusing for months, he finally got that much-needed haircut -- just in time for my high school reunion. :P

No comments: