Sunday, October 26, 2008

Cheap date!

It was 2 p.m. and I was dogsitting for my parents this weekend (more on that later) with NO idea what I was going to be in 8 hours. On a whim, I decided to pull out the prom and homecoming dresses that had been hanging in the closet for 10-plus years. The homecoming dress was from 1995 and was a horrible pleated velvet dark green chiffon number. The prom dress was a long black cocktail dress that showed too much cleavage for an 18-year-old.

With a lot of help from the husband and plenty of sucking in, I got the homecoming dress zipped and decided that I was going to save money this year and go as a homecoming queen (a fat homecoming queen? Perhaps a pregnant one?). I was feeling pretty proud of myself for still fitting into the damn thing, but unfortunately, after a big dinner and a glass of wine, I could no longer take a full breath. So off came the 1995 dress and on went the 1998 dress, which was still tight but in a much more more forgiving way.

I caked makeup on my face, designed a homemade crown out of some cardboard and a headband (the cardboard fell off) and made a corsage out of a fabric flower I dug out of my mom's junk drawer. Not the most fab costume I've ever worn, but it cost exactly zero dollars and lasted through the night. Unfortunately, we FORGOT OUR CAMERA so this is the only picture of us that exists.

Once we got to the bar, I had one beer and one shot -- not that I'm a big drinker, but that's not very much for me over the course of a night. There must have been a full moon or something, because I literally couldn't walk straight and don't remember getting home! (Luckily, I was not the one driving. :) I woke up with a hell of a headache this morning. I have no clue how this happened to me, but it sucked.

No comments: