Monday, October 27, 2008

10 years

I just looked at the calendar and realized my 10-year high school reunion is a month from today. HELP! I was thinking I'd have at least another 4 years, give or take, before I had to worry about the damn thing.

So, tell me. Do I go -- spend money on travel and hotel, miss Thanksgiving with my family, have a terribly awkward time and wonder why I bothered in the first place? Or do I skip out, miss an awesome time, and get all jealous and regretful when everyone posts their fun pics on Facebook?

I know I shouldn't care that much. It's HIGH SCHOOL. But I can't help it, I'm stressing.

On the pro side, I'm married to a great guy, I have a job I can brag about, and most importantly, I didn't get fat. (Come on, you know seeing who got fat is the point of high school reunions.) On the con side, it's at a bar, it costs money, and I don't care that much about people I went to high school with. I haven't seen any of them in at least 9 years.

OK, sure, it would be nice to see some people, but I keep in touch with them on Facebook anyway. And some of the people I really want to see aren't going.

What about you people? Did you go to your reunions? Why or why not?

5 comments:

Stephanie said...

I didn't go. Brad and I went to Chicago for a weekend vacation instead. I saw the pics, felt jealous for about a day, then a month later was totally over it. BUT, I hated high school..... ;)

mouse said...

Is this really a question? High school reunions are like high school all over again, except you're legally allowed to drink now. In other words, they're lame. (well, mine is going to be lame, which is why I'm not going.)

If you really feel like you'll be sad that you didn't go, then go. otherwise? meh. you'll always have another one in 10 years. :)

Amy W. said...

I'll probably go to mine. Good excuse to come home, anyway!

Unknown said...

I went. I had many of the same feelings as you but in the end I was glad I went. I was surprised at how quickly I felt at ease with the people I once thought would be my best friends forever. And oh ya...it felt good to have the boy I lusted after all through high school lose his handsome looks and last after me a bit ;)

Birgles McGee said...

I went to public and boarding school for a year. I missed my 10-year boarding school reunion last year because I couldn't afford to fly to DC and I really regret it. I loved those people! I am fairly certain I might be in charge of planning my public school reunion next year...guess I have to go. I don't know...I had a good time in high school so I'm always curious about everyone, even the people who picked on me. Guess it depends on how curious you are. Although missing Thanksgiving with your family...that's no fun.