Brad and I took a trip there yesterday morning to stock up on fruits and veggies (and to entertain my in-laws, who are staying with us for two weeks so my mother-in-law can participate in a clinical trial). We're seriously thinking about buying a farm share next year, since the soil in our yard sucks for growing things. But in the meantime, we stocked up on raw beets, tomatoes, Michigan peaches and some very ugly but tasty carrots. On the menu this week: tomato-mozzarella pizza, borscht (beet soup), and spinach salad. Yum!
Sunday, September 7, 2008
Field trip!
I love Eastern Market. Imagine, if you will, a MASSIVE, multi-building farmer's market in a not-so-great area of downtown Detroit where everything is so cheap you can buy a month's worth of produce for $10. (Yeah, seriously, it's that cheap.) I'm not typically big on shopping at farmer's markets -- I find them to be crowded and often a little pretentious. But Eastern Market is just different. There's nothing pretentious about a bunch of middle-class local farmers of every race you can think of selling their produce, cheese, flowers and baked goods to hungry Detroiters who don't have access to or money for Whole Foods. We try to go at least several times a year.
Brad and I took a trip there yesterday morning to stock up on fruits and veggies (and to entertain my in-laws, who are staying with us for two weeks so my mother-in-law can participate in a clinical trial). We're seriously thinking about buying a farm share next year, since the soil in our yard sucks for growing things. But in the meantime, we stocked up on raw beets, tomatoes, Michigan peaches and some very ugly but tasty carrots. On the menu this week: tomato-mozzarella pizza, borscht (beet soup), and spinach salad. Yum!

Brad and I took a trip there yesterday morning to stock up on fruits and veggies (and to entertain my in-laws, who are staying with us for two weeks so my mother-in-law can participate in a clinical trial). We're seriously thinking about buying a farm share next year, since the soil in our yard sucks for growing things. But in the meantime, we stocked up on raw beets, tomatoes, Michigan peaches and some very ugly but tasty carrots. On the menu this week: tomato-mozzarella pizza, borscht (beet soup), and spinach salad. Yum!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
I think farm shares sound totally cool. We have some decent farmer's markets out here; they are not as pretentious as the A2 ones can be (I know exactly what you mean about those!) I have been just thrilled with the fact that I have grown edible food this year. Funny the kind of stuff you get into as you get older, isn't it?
I love farmers markets. Yummy!
Post a Comment