Friday, July 18, 2008

Comeback

One of the things I've been secretly hoping was that by summer's end, I'd be able to do a sprint triathlon. There's a really fun small neighborhood race called Island Lake of Novi in late August that's perfect for the "beginner" triathlete. It's the shortest, easiest race I've ever done, and takes less than 90 minutes total. In 2005, I finished third in my age group; in 2006, I finished second in my age group and something like sixth (woman) overall. Of course, I wasn't hoping for anything close to an age-group place this year. I just wanted to get out and race again.

Unfortunately, I don't think I'm quite ready. I know I'd be able to finish the race -- with the adrenaline of race day, I could easily push myself through the 3-mile run, and I can breeze through a 800-meter swim and 10-mile bike (well, OK, I haven't been on a road bike in a year...but I know I could do it). But the thing with me is, I don't race to finish. I race to kick some ass. I may not be fast, but I still have that competitive drive that I've had since high school cross-country. As soon as that gun goes off, the ass-kicking begins, and does not cease until the finish line is crossed. And if I tried to kick ass in this race, I'd end up kicking myself in the ass for getting hurt.

I've been doing plenty of exercise these days, but mentally I'm not ready to push myself. I ride my bike to work 3 or 4 days a week, but it's at a slow, leisurely pace, and I granny-gear it when I go up the big hill. I've been wogging (thanks for the word, Runner Susan) a few times a week, but 10-minute miles are the fastest I allow myself to go. It's not that I don't have it in me to push myself; I'm just scared of getting hurt. The only place I'm really working hard is the weight room. If I could just cut it out with the baked Cheetos, I'd look like a freaking body builder.

I'm sure the fear will pass. Hell, I'm not even five months out from surgery and I don't think I'm doing too badly with the wogging and biking. I still hate swimming, so like always I'm avoiding it as much as possible, but I can kick out a 1:50 for 100M if I put my mind to it.

So I'm setting a new ass-kicking comeback goal of spring 2009. I know there's no triathlons in Michigan in the spring (you try swimming in 60-degree water and see how you like it), but I think a 5K might be a good place to start. I've got the fall and winter to build my endurance and my quads and hamstrings so I don't get hurt again. I also need to lose those last 3 pounds that I've been lazy about -- and not for vanity's sake. The more weight I carry around, the more I stress my joints.

So let's hope that this time next year I have a big comeback under my belt. I've still got a long way to go...

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

I can't wait to worry about those last 3 lbs! lmao. I will agree with you though. Pregnancy, I could feel 2-3 lbs. At my last appointment I had only gained 11 lbs during my pregnancy but it feels more like 20. I can only imagine the difference it makes on your knee when running.