Sunday, May 4, 2008

Weekend update

As an update to yesterday's posts: 1) I bought some new, CUTE shoes! (They're flip-flops with little chunky heels, not pointy heels, so they're very comfortable to walk in.) And 2) my knee feels great this morning. In fact, I would almost say my knee felt better for the rest of the day after the bike ride, even though I spent most of it on my feet. Maybe "getting back out there" is the best thing I can do, and hopefully over time it will help get rid of some of the residual swelling so I can bend my knee all the way (which I still can't do).

After a very busy, productive day yesterday, last night I went to Pub 13, a piano bar in the next city over. I've been completely obsessed with piano bars ever since my Vegas trip, where spending an afternoon (yes, afternoon) in a dueling piano bar in New York, New York was my favorite part of the weekend. Brad had been there before he met me, and had little interest in going back -- watching two guys in Hawaiian shirts belt out Queen and Styx to a dance floor of drunk bachelorettes isn't really his thing.

So we had a girls' night out, and it was a blast! I'll admit, the talent was not quite on par with the bar in Vegas, but you also didn't have to tip $20 to hear a song ($3-$5 was perfectly acceptable) and the piano players were about 85% as entertaining. Also, even though I heard "Don't Stop Believin'" in both locales (apparently a piano-bar standard?), the Ypsilanti version gets an A++ due to the sheer volume of the crowd belting out "He was just a city boy, BORN AND RAISED IN SOUTH DETROIT!" Brad and I once had a hilarious discussion about how whenever that Journey song comes on, everyone in the area suddenly claims "south Detroit" as their home...like, even people from Toledo, Ohio. Anyway, it was a fantastic night, and I need one of my friends to have a birthday or bachelorette party there so I can go back as soon as possible.

Today we're having some friends over for a cookout, and I'm taking the day off from exercise. I've either swam, lifted weights or gone to PT 6 days this week, and I know I need to give myself a one-day break.

Oh, and you'll want to stay tuned for a report on Brad's epic 30th birthday celebration next Saturday! Unfortunately, I have to leave town next Sunday morning and will be gone for the entire week (including his actual 30th birthday), but I'll try to post some photos before I get on the plane.

2 comments:

Amy W. said...

I really enjoyed this because I have commented many times on the "South Detroit" phenomenon.

Jess said...

Hope you enjoyed your rest day!