Monday, March 31, 2008

Trippin'

I registered for classes today, which was quite possibly the most entertaining part of the next 2+ years I'll be in grad school. First of all, the registration process was all online. I finished undergrad in early 2001 -- the year before my school implemented an online registration system -- so all througout my educational experience, I had to register through a phone system called TRIPS.

TRIPS is kind of an inside joke to those folks who went to OU (Alyssa? Are you reading?) so I won't get into it here, but my greatest and worst memories of registering for classes came while living in the dorms. Registration opened at the same time for everyone in my dorm, and because the walls were so thin, you could literally hear people cursing and banging on the walls from 7-8 a.m. because they got locked out of classes. TRIPS was all about the speed dial.

Anyway, during my lunch break today, while I was eating a preservative-laden Meijer frozen steak, cheddar and mushroom panini (I'm OBSESSED with these things, they are so amazingly delicious -- our freezer is literally so full of them it takes me 25 minutes to locate the ice cream, which is a tragedy in itself), I registered for classes. The process was so easy that I actually thought I didn't get in, so I tried registering for the same classes 3 times. I'm taking two classes this fall. And my incentive for not slacking off is that the better my grades, the more tuition money I will receive from my place of employment.

This May I have a retreat weekend thingy with my fellow students and professors, so I will get to meet all the fine people I'll be virtually spending the next two years with. I have to admit, I'm super-energized about this whole thing. I think it's going to be good for me.

Stay tuned for a knitting update. I just started my first sweater...I figure I have to use up some of this wool before it gets too hot to knit at all.

3 comments:

Alyssa said...

Ha! I am reading this! I've actually been thinking a lot about trips lately as the guy who was the voice of trips is the director of advancement at WOSU and I applied for a job there.

Jess said...

When I was in college, we also registered for classes in a similiar phone system. But in grad school, they had advanced to the online system, but damn, I remember the frustration of the phone!

Amy W. said...

I think I am actually not going to do this program. I don't know. I just don't think the timing is right.