It's not that I expected to be running marathons on day seven. It's just that I expected to be doing, well, more than I am. Every time I talk to someone about my surgery, I get the same response: "Oh, it was only arthroscopic surgery? My husband/aunt/brother/co-worker had arthoscopic surgery and was on crutches for three minutes." My first thought is that they think I'm being wimpy, and my second thought is that they think I'm milking it.
Now, I'm not above milking the occasional unfortunate situation for sympathy and brownies, but I am not milking this one. IF I had the ability to walk, my house wouldn't be a complete disaster, my pants would be ironed, and we'd have more food in the fridge than a clove of garlic and a moldy jar of hot fudge sauce. (Brad has been amazing at helping me get around, but he's working crazy hours this week, and there's only so much he can do in terms of floor-scrubbing and grocery shopping.)
I know I shouldn't care what other people think, and I should instead worry about ME. This is my knee, and not the knee of somebody whose granddaughter went on a weeklong hike a week after getting her meniscus repaired. I'm just impatient and want to be back to normal.
On a brighter note, my friend Lauren came over tonight and brought the two best cheer-a-girl-up things in the world: a cheese pizza and High School Musical! I loved it, and can't wait to see the second one! Makes me wish I had cooler things to obsess over than The Lion King when I was a pre-teen.
Since Thursday, without even asking, I have been on the receiving end of a pizza, a board game, two offers to sit through girly movies with me, one offer to wash dishes and clean cat poop, and several other things that probably happened while I was three sheets to the vicodin wind. My friends rock.
And last but not least (or maybe it is least), here's a photo of the hat I'm knitting for Brad. He commissioned it, so he'd better wear it. ;) The yarn is absolutely gorgeous and fun to knit with. Which it should be for the price I paid.

3 comments:
Hang in there, Alison. Everyone heals at their own speed. Listen to what your doctor says.
Hey, have you been to the yarn shopn ext to the Kroger on Plymouth Road? They have GREAT yarn.
Yep, I mostly shop there. There's also one on Industrial, but they're more expensive and their selection isn't as good.
Post a Comment