Sunday, March 9, 2008

Another setback

The good news: my knee feels better. The bad news: I think I pulled my quad. While that may not seem like a big deal, pretty much every exercise or motion I have to perform to help my recovery involves my quad, so this will be a major setback in the process.

I'm not exactly sure how it happened. It started to hurt on Wednesday, and it took until Thursday - a week after the surgery - before I was smart enough to realize that my crutches were set too low. To avoid putting weight on my leg, I had to hold it up, engaging my quads and my hamstrings with every step. So basically, every time I walked to the bathroom, I was doing about 20 leg-lifts. Once I raised my crutches up to the 5'3" setting, I was able to let my leg hang free.

On Friday, I went to my first PT session, where they had me do a bunch of quad exercises. It was definitely sore, but I figured that was normal. I tried to do the same exercises Saturday morning (the PT told me to do them every day), and couldn't get through the first set. And by the end of the day, the pain in my quad was excruciating with every move. Granted, I probably overdid it a little yesterday morning, but I spent most of the day sitting on the couch with ice on my leg.

I guess I couldn't expect things to go perfectly with this. But still...argh.

1 comment:

MNFirefly said...

Oh no! That sucks! I hope you get an opportunity to rest.