Sunday, February 24, 2008

I guess this is growing up

When I first started dating Brad, he lived in a big, old "student ghetto" house that he shared with five guys he had gone to college with. They all shared one bathroom, which was, of course, always someone else's responsibility to clean. I avoided that bathroom like the plague, but after staying there one weeknight, it was finally time to brave the shower.

With a look of utter disgust on my face, I turned on the water (I couldn't quite figure out if the water was brownish, or if that was just an illusion created by the stains in the tub), gingerly hung up my towel, and was about to step in when realized there was no soap or shampoo.

"Hey Brad!" I shouted (this was before the sappy pet-name phase). "Where's your shampoo and shower gel?"

"Oh yeah, sorry about that," he shouted back. "Just grab it from the sink."

My new boyfriend? Washed himself - and his hair - with HAND SOAP. And to add insult to injury, it was generic handsoap from the dollar store.

I think I skipped the shower after all.

The reason I tell this story is because yesterday, almost six years to the day of what I refer to as "the softsoap incident," Brad came home from a morning of errands with two humidifiers. "I figured we'd put one in the bedroom and one in the family room," he said. "I mean, even though I use that designer shower gel and expensive lotion, my skin is so dry all the time. I thought having a few humidifiers might help."

My friends, if you've ever wondered if it is possible for someone to turn his life completely around, I think you've got your proof.

2 comments:

Jen said...

Aw, that's cute. :)

Deafula said...

Totally untrue story! Yes, my hands do get dry, but the lotion was just stuff she had lying around, the soap is Axe body gel, and the humidifiers were on sale at Target 2-for-1.

And the old apartment will always get disrespect from her despite the fact that we both know it wasn't that bad.