So, I know there's all this debate about whether you're supposed to drink six, eight, ten, twelve glasses of water a day. But I know there is not much of debate about whether you're supposed to drink, uh...NO glasses of water a day.
Which has pretty much been my "liquid diet" for the past year. If you look at what beverages I've consumed with breakfast, lunch and dinner over the past year, it has gone something like: coffee, diet coke, beer; or, coffee, diet coke, cranberry juice, red bull. I don't really like drinking water unless I'm thirsty, and when I don't exercise much, I don't get thirsty. So since about February, I just put the cabash on the whole water thing.
I didn't do it on purpose -- it was a gradual taper. And for a long time, I barely noticed. I mean, sure, my pee was the color of a burnt orange crayola, and I was walking up with cotton mouth every morning, but those things weren't really affecting my life. But just recently, without getting too personal, I started noticing some other issues that were affecting my life, or at least my nice, happy, comfortable routine. So I decided to make a conscious effort to drink...EIGHT GLASSES OF WATER PER DAY. I started on Friday of last week.
It didn't seem like that much. I mean, a pint is 16 oz., and drinking four pints used to be a really great night for me. I envisioned myself excelling at the water-drinking...even going above and beyond and drinking nine or ten glasses of water on some days. That's how I am - I don't just "do" things, I do them to the extreme.
I'm definitely going to have to rethink this plan.
The first day, I was able to consume about 48 ounces of water - three-fourths of my recommended daily intake - before I'd had it with leaving my desk every 15 minutes to run to the bathroom. I had to leave in the middle of two teleconferences, praying that nobody took those moments to ask for my input in the discussion. I had to excuse myself during a meeting. I had to pull over to a gas station on my 10-minute drive home. And that night, even though I stopped drinking water well before bed, I woke up three times to use the potty, leading my confused husband to believe that I had the stomach flu.
Not only that, but every time I walked, I could feel the water sloshing around in my stomach. It was very uncomfortable.
So for the past few days, I've gone back down to trying to drink 4 glasses of water during the workday. Maybe I need to start small and work up to the amount of water that lazy people are supposed to drink. I still have to pee at least once an hour, sometimes more, and the sloshing hasn't gone away. I wonder if I'll eventually develop a tolerance for water, kinda like I did for beer. Except I promise you, beer does NOT make you pee this much.
Monday, January 28, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

7 comments:
You could always drink your water as hot tea. Maybe if you consumed it more slowly the sloshing wouldn't be a factor.
You don't need to force-feed water. Try making water the only thing you drink (it really should be, with the exception of tea and occasional alcohol), and drink it when you're thirsty. You also don't need 8-12 glasses a day, especially if you're eating "water" foods, like fruits, pasta, or rice (ie, foods made with water, or foods that absorb water when cooked).
I happen to love drinking water, and I polish off many bottles a day...and wake up at least once to pee. I'm kinda used to it.
I'm a waterholic.. drink 4 or 5 litres a day, thats 128 or 160 ozs or 16-20 glasses, I just like it, what can I say, but keep going the bathroom thing will pass, its just when you start out driking more its a little harsh for a bit..
how funny! i am having the same struggle right now. I drink NO water. water is lame. but i'm trying. I think i may have had four glasses yesterday?
Good luck!! :)
Do you still have to drink water as if you were drinking it from a water fountain? I remember you standing over my kitchen sink in high school pouring a glass of water over your mouth.
HOLY CRAP, I can't believe you still remember that. I admit, I still sometimes do that at home. Not at work, though. That would be worse than peeing in the middle of a meeting.
I agree. Beer does NOT make you pee as much as water. The problem with drinking water is you drink the majority of it at work then you have to get up from your desk to pee about 18 times and people start to wonder why it seems like you are ALWAYS in the bathroom.
Post a Comment