Sunday, December 16, 2007

Shovelin' snow

Brad and I are very happily married, which means that we can freely make brutal fun of each other with no regrets. We both dish it out and take it on an equal level, having as much fun as possible at the expense of the other person. But today, I'm the one who gets to dish it after discovering that my husband is an OBSESSIVE-COMPULSIVE SNOW SHOVELER.

He goes over the driveway and walkway three times to make sure that every last clump is removed, despite the fact that snow continues to come down at a rapid pace, ruining his work. He pats down his snow piles. And, best of all, he not only shovels the driveway and sidewalk, but sections of the yard! (!!!???)

You're probably wondering why I didn't discover this last year, the first winter we spent in our house. Well, last winter, Michigan got about a half-inch of snow. We did have one blizzard, on Valentine's Day, but I had an early job interview that morning and had to clear the driveway myself (I love Brad too much to drag him out of bed at 5:45 a.m. in a snowstorm). So I did it in my own haphazard way: shovel behind the car to make sure I can get out without getting stuck, and pray for an early spring.

In case you're wondering why I didn't help remove the 7 inches of snow from our driveway (and sidewalk, and yard) this morning -- well, although we are a two-shovel family, one of our shovels is essentially a gardening shovel. I tried to help for about five minutes, but the snow was literally falling faster than my little shovel could pick it up (and going out to buy another shovel would have been a three-hour process). I pouted and whined until Brad finally gave me the OK to go inside and do laundry instead. And if there's one thing I can rock, it's laundry.

After I finish the last of my Christmas shopping, we're planning on celebrating the glorious weather by going out for sushi and chillin' in a hot tub for a few hours. Yea for winter!

5 comments:

The Hall said...

Is that a U.P. thing? Yard-shoveling is definitely new to me!

Jess said...

Yard shoveling? Was he planning a BBQ out there?

Alison said...

Brad's reasoning was that we needed to create several paths in the grass in case we ever had to walk through the yard. So, yes, I'm sure it has something to do with growing up in the U.P. If you don't shovel a path through your yard in the U.P., you may not get to walk through it for the rest of the winter!

In retrospect, it was very cute. I should have taken pictures.

Anonymous said...

sounds like he needs a yooper scooper down there.... he'll know what it is...

MNFirefly said...

Wow! Sounds like he need a snow plow.