In honor of my six-year anniversary as a Michiganian, here are the top five weirdest things about this state that everyone who grew up here thinks of as completely normal.
- Everyone and their brother, mother, father, aunt, uncle and dog has "a cabin up north." Um...OK. Where I come from, anyone who has a second vacation home has the cash flow of Puff Daddy. But when I went to a couple of those "cabins up north," I realized that the word "cabin" is relative. Most of them are trailers parked in the middle of the woods.
- The word pop is not a nickname for daddy or a blow to the head. Nope...it's a fizzy drink. (??)
- Everyone, except me, drives an American car because of their connection to the industry. (To make matters worse, my car is Korean. I'm real popular around here, let me tell you.)
- No one will believe that they have an accent -- or should I say "aeeeeeeeehh-ccent." They all think the Michigan accent is "neutral." Ha! (Then again, I should talk. I have no idea what kind of annoying lilt I've picked up over the years.)
- Two much-hyped beers that I will never, ever understand: Bell's Oberon and Labatt Blue. Yuck.
Sometimes, I feel like I've been here so long that I may as well have been born and raised here. I've even gotten to the phase where I point to the bottom-right of my hand when someone asks where I live. But...pop? Never.

3 comments:
Soda? :oD
as a Canuck, "Soda" to me is stuff you bake with or put in your fridge to take away the stink, LOL ;0)
this is hilarious because I'm going "wait, that's how you pronounce 'accent'!" and "HEY! I LOVE OBERON AND LABATTS!"
ha!
The cabin up the hill from ours didn't even have running water until a few years ago, which I'm still not quite getting because our cabin is about 50 yards away and is as functional as our real home.
Post a Comment