Monday, May 25, 2009

When a house becomes a home

As of this week, Brad and I have been homeowners for three whole years! I just realized this as we were braving the crowds at Home Depot today, picking up a few things for random little house and lawn projects we need to get done this summer.

I'll never forget how terrifying it was to sit there at the closing, which was the Friday afternoon before Memorial Day weekend (thanks for giving me the day off, Sheri :). It was completely unreal. We literally felt like we were signing our life away. I remember thinking, "what are we going to do if one of us loses our job?" But there was no turning back! Little did I know, six months later, I *did* lose my job, and when I got a new one, it came with a huge pay cut. But you know what? We survived. Just like everyone told us we would. I still say a little word of thanks to the man upstairs every month that we're able to pay our bills, because in today's economy, a lot of people are struggling. We've just been lucky -- and frugal -- thus far. (And thankful that we didn't listen to all those shady mortgage brokers out there and got a fixed-rate loan.)

We love our house even more every year as we continue to make into more of a home. OK, I realize that we did set it on fire last year, but the house appears to have forgiven us. We can't wait to share it with our son!

2 comments:

Kate said...

It's inspiring to see someone "like me" facing everything and coming out on top.
I'm so nervous about home ownership and the economy, and how we'd survive if we stopped being "rich".

Alison said...

I don't know if I'd say I came out "on top"...we still have no freaking clue how we're going to afford daycare! But thank you for making me feel good :)

Seriously, though, I have no clue what we used to do with all that extra money back in the day, when I had a bigger paycheck and we lived in a crappy apartment. We definitely weren't living "better" than we are now -- I think we were just less careful about our spending habits.