Friday, March 27, 2009

So I'm not in the greatest of moods.

Things not to say to a pregnant woman 101:

"Stop stressing so much. You're hurting the baby."

Appreciate the kind words. However, my stress not going to disappear because some random person tells me to stop stressing -- particularly if they tell me in the same breath that what I've been doing for the past 5 months has already done irreversible harm. THANKS!

"You don't even look pregnant."

I'm not sure if that's supposed to be some sort of compliment or what? Let's face it: whether I look pregnant or not, I'm sure you've noticed that I've put on 13 pounds in 5 months. So, trust me, I would rather you tell me I look pregnant.

"Even though you didn't ask, let me tell you the story of when MY baby was born."

Not surprisingly, this sentence is never followed with "It was great! Everything went perfectly!" No, it's usually some variation of, "I was in labor for three days and my kid almost died. Good luck with yours!"


I apologize for the tone of this post. I haven't been in a great mood this week, even though I'm recovered from my stomach bug. Life has been unbelievably stressful, and I'm trying to figure out how I managed to commit myself to every volunteer activity on the planet this spring. On top of that, my hips and back are starting to hurt, so I'm waking up every 20 minutes in agony and getting no quality sleep. I'm at the point where the dumbest little thing makes me fly off the handle.

So, please. The only comment I want to hear for the next 4 months -- no matter how stressed, ragged or chubby I may look -- is "I'm so excited for you. You look great!" Even if it's a total lie. :)

2 comments:

The Hall said...

You DO look great!

Jess said...

I know all about this stuff! I also have had people tell me what to eat, how many/what kind of vitamins to take, and how to care for my yet-unborn child.

There's just something about pregnancy and motherhood that gives people free-reign on sharing their thoughts with you!