It's amazing how stress affects you not only mentally, but physically. Between work insanity and my final project being due before 5 p.m. today -- not to mention getting ready for an out-of-town trip -- this week has been one of the most stressful in recent history. It's all positive stress this time, but that doesn't stop it from taking a toll on your body.
I've also been riddled with insomnia, 3 a.m.-waking style, for 4 days straight. I've thought about 18 times that I was coming down with a cold, a stomach flu or mad cow disease. This morning, 8 hours before I blow this Popsicle stand and hit the road, the stress is pretty much over. I have 98.9% of the project done, I'm almost caught up at work and I'm packed. I had planned to get up for a long, body-cleansing workout. Maybe a bike ride or a swim and 45 minutes of upper-body weights before spending the day at my computer and then in the car.
But when the alarm went off, my whole body HURT. My arms and shoulders were sore. My neck was killing me. My calves were screaming. My knees, both of them, were stiff and creaky. I was confused at first because I haven't had a hard workout since last Saturday. It took me a minute to realize that my muscles were reacting to the stress! Two years ago I would have just worked out harder, but that's exactly how I ended up on the operating table. I knew that my body was begging for a day off. I did some stretching, took a hot shower, relaxed with a cup of coffee and popped an Advil. I feel so much better!
Brad and I were going to bring our bikes up to Traverse City this weekend (along with lots of cold-weather biking gear. Can you tell this was my idea, and not his? :) but I've now scrapped that plan. I'm sure we'll do plenty of walking in between wine drinking. But whether we get any exercise or not, I think the best possible thing I can do for myself right now is take it easy, get lots of sleep, and savor the fall days.
I'm out!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Have fun and RELAX! : )
Post a Comment