Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Kale Chips


I'm not much of a cook. I can make a mean bowl of cereal and a fine peanut butter sandwich, but when it comes to anything more complicated than that, I leave it up to the husband. Brad's half Italian, but he cooks like he's at least 125%.

However, the weeknights are tough because Brad and I work very different schedules. So this year, I've really tried to pick it up in the kitchen. We rarely eat out anymore, and I can tell when my body gets really sick of processed foods. (There's only so much Hormel Turkey Chili With Beans one can take.) I really hate fruit unless it's garnishing a martini, so I've been focusing on trying to bulk up my meals with vegetables. Almost every night for the past 6 months, I've filled my plate with at least half fresh or cooked veggies (some of my favorites: asparagus, cabbage, tomatoes and cooked cauliflower). I like cooked veggies better than raw, but I'm also a big fan of a big, crunchy salad.

This week I discovered a brand-new recipe that was SO GOOD I just had to share: kale chips! This is a great recipe for people who love crunchy, salty foods. Kale is a leafy green vegetable that tastes like broccoli when raw but takes on a much milder flavor when cooked.

I've linked a "real" recipe below, but it can be easily modified. Basically, you cut up a bunch of kale into potato chip-sized pieces, toss with a bit of olive oil and vinegar, and sprinkle with lots of salt and a bit of parmesan if you'd like. Spread on a baking sheet and bake at 350 degrees for 15-20 minutes, flipping once. You will be amazed at how much these things actually taste like potato chips, especially when dipped in a bit of ranch dressing or even ketchup. (I put ketchup on everything, sorry.)

For a recipe, visit Kath Eats. You can thank me later!

No comments: