Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Camping

I may be athletic, but I am about the least-outdoorsy person you'll ever meet. I don't like bugs, I can't start a fire unless it involves a lighter and a scented candle, and I once was hospitalized for the worst case of poison ivy the University of Michigan Department of Dermatology has ever seen (maybe it was just the massive dose of 'roids I was on, but I'm pretty sure that's what my doctor said). Also, the concept of burying my poop six inches underground is just...well...ew.

But somehow, I ended up signing up for a girls' weekend at North Manitou Island, which offers nothing but the finest in primitive camping. You all heard about my fancy new hiking boots, but today I picked up my gear, which I'm borrowing from a variety of people. The two bits of good news I have to report are a) when you're four months out from knee surgery, your friends carry all the heavy stuff for you and give you the smallest pack, and b) packing for a four-day camping trip is pretty easy. From what I understand, it includes a sleeping bag, a change of socks, and some beef jerky. That's a hell of a lot less than I typically bring on an overnight trip to Kalamazoo.

Surprisingly enough, I am actually OK with dirty clothes and lack of shower facilities. RAGBRAI taught me that I can spend 7 days wearing the same shirt and not die. And I have to admit, there's something pretty cool about the idea of being alone on a totally remote island in the middle of nowhere that does not have bears (at least this is what they tell me). Katie is bringing her camera (no room in my pack!), so hopefully the next time I post I'll have pictures of me being one with nature.

If anyone has any camping tips for me, now would be the time to share them.

6 comments:

mouse said...

The last time I went backcountry backpacking, I really wished I would have brought some ibuprofen. we hiked WAY too far our first day and were really sore the next few days.

also, make sure you keep you're eating enough to keep your energy up while you're carrying that pack! I often tend to think i'm "just hiking" and underestimate my fueling needs. I became a megabitch about four hours into one of our hikes one time because I didn't realize how much energy I was exerting. all those high calorie "energy bars" work great in terms of being quick fuel that's easy to transport (and light!).

It's really a bizarre feeling to be carrying everything you need to survive on your back, but really there's nothing more amazing that to be far away from all civilization and so engrossed in nature. have a blast!

Stephanie said...

Birgit hiked there a few summers ago. She might have some handy tips for you! (you can link to her from my blog if you're interested!)

The Hall said...

Stop and drink water often - you'd be surprised how quickly you can get dehydrated.

I also second the ibuprofen advice - it can make life so much nicer out there.

Have fun!

Deafula said...

It also helps when you imagine what your husband is up to. Knowing what a stand up fella he is, I imagine it'll be a weekend of meeting interesting new individuals who may further his career, passionately delving more into his hobbies, and perhaps even watching some foreign cinema.

Amy W. said...

My camping advice is don't camp. :)

Jess said...

I love camping. But I like the kind where you bring a few cases of beer along. Doesn't sound like you'll have room for that.