Monday, February 18, 2008

Three-day weekend

I'm not exactly sure when this became a knitting blog. But anyway -- this weekend, after attempting a few complicated projects (mittens? not so much) and failing miserably, I got frustrated and was ready to give up the whole stitch-'n-bitch thing altogether. Then I reconsidered. I've only been knitting for about a month, and I can make a damn good scarf and an equally good rolled-brim hat. So why not just stick to those things for awhile and practice my technique?

I headed out to Jo-Ann's (I know, I know. The whole grad school budget thing), picked up some thick, chunky wool/acrylic yarn, and whipped out the size-13 (very large) needles, which haven't seen the light of day in weeks. I started furiously knitting a double-ribbed scarf and, after an hour, have almost a foot done on this puppy. It's warm, stretchy and very pretty. It feels nice to be good at something again.



It's been a pretty eventful weekend. On Saturday, Brad and I danced at the Love Bang, which has been our Valentine's Day tradition for the past 3 years. Unfortunately, we had to leave early because my knee was hurting too badly to dance anymore.



Also, my future sister-in-law was in town, so we enjoyed a mediocre Italian dinner with her at Paesano's.



That's it for your regularly scheduled weekend wrap-up. I have the day off today for some dead presidents, and I've already finished the laundry and cleaned two bathrooms.

4 comments:

Kate said...

I love the way you never do anything by halves :-)

And I can't remember if I ever commented on the grad school thing, but YAY!!

Amy W. said...

Trust me, stick with the scarves and hats for a bit. I thought once I completed my second scarf that I was ready to immediately make the jump to mittens and it DID NOT GO WELL.

I miss the Bang :(

Amy W. said...

And have you used REALLY big needles yet? Like 17s? They're fun. I like to use them when I want to knit two yarns (like a big chunky wool and a skinny fuzzy mohair) together.

Jess said...

Wanna knit me a scarf? I'm gonna need one for my trip to MN this weekend!